Monday, March 13, 2017

Change is Hard -- Be Brave!

#IMMOOCB1
#IMMOOC

Change is Hard.  As a leader in educational technology it is important to really understand that.  To successfully lead people thru change, relationships matter.  As leaders we must meet people where they are, and provide experiences where they can be challenged, but also find success.

Coming into my school with the roll out of a 1:1 iPad initiative, I was purposeful in my interactions with the staff. I understood that many were unsure of their ability to manipulate these devices and they often said "I'm not good with technology"; "technology isn't in my wheel house". To these statements I would always respond with a resounding "yet"., changing the dialogue from a statement to a possibility.

Adding yet to the end of their statements helped them to realize that while they weren't comfortable with technology today, with practice they will be better tomorrow. I reassured them that I would be there to help them along the way, and I made it a priority to be there. Understanding people's fears, and helping them be brave helped build a foundation of trust that they can use  as they develop their competence in integrating technology into the classroom.   


"Each small step that is accomplished
helps develop confidence and competence along the way."

#Innovators Mindset  ~George Couros

2 comments:

  1. Yet and trust are POWERFUL words. We are a 1:1 iPad district PK-12 and I have had to work a lot of meeting teachers where they are. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donald! It's a an exciting journey! Good Luck to you as well!,

    ReplyDelete